August 07, 2006

Living in Waco

Week 2-

Monday: SO for those that don't know much about Waco, its shady! Hello, David Koresh!?! Here are some quick facts:

1. Crime statistics indicate that in every area listed (murders, rapes, robberies, assault, burglary, etc.) Waco statistics surpass the national average in every category.
2. The percent of people living in poverty in Waco is at 26.3% compared nationally at 11.3%
3. Then there is the epic Branch Davidian Cult!

That being stated, being a 20 year old female running at night is not something I choose to do! Tonight however I didn't plan my run very accordingly. I had dinner with some friends and by 8:45 was out running. Well it's getting darker earlier but I figured "It's only a 20 minute run. It won't get too dark!" WRONG! So I run the 20 minutes and end up less than 1/2 mile away from my apartment when this car starts driving by me very slowly. I'm very aware of my surroundings at this point. I decide it may just be someone I know until this same car makes another pass. At this point I'm not far from my apartment, it's within sight, and I start running. The car was sitting at the stop sign by my apartment and I waited for it to turn (which I do believe it was making ANOTHER pass) and made it safely into my apartment. Don't worry I made sure he wasn't anywhere in sight when I went into my apartment complex as to not make myself a part of those crime stats. So, lesson #200 (I've lived in Waco for 2 years now, lots of lessons learned) don't EVER run at night, even at dusk.

The boring part of the story: 20 minute run went REALLY well.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's why you have a man. Make him run with you for protection!!

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I kept driving by...

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home